Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Liedenfrost Effect


Ok, I am not entirely sure why I am writing a post on, of all things, an obscure scientific phenomenon which most people wouldn't have even heard of. Maybe it's because it has been too long since my last blog and I've gone cuckoo with the non-activity. Maybe it's because I was a brilliant student with a special interest in the fundamentals of Physics (nah, that doesn't sound like me) . Or maybe it's because this effect holds special significance for me, has a special place in my heart, contributing to my growth as an individual. There it is.


Before I go into why this phenomenon means so much to me, let me first try to explain what it actually means. The Leidenfrost effect is a phenomenon in which a liquid, in near contact with a mass significantly hotter than the liquid's boiling point, produces an insulating vapor layer which keeps that liquid from boiling rapidly. This is most commonly seen when cooking: mothers sprinkle drops of water in a tawa to gauge its temperature—if the tawa's temperature is at or above the Leidenfrost point, the water skitters across the metal and takes longer to evaporate than it would in a tawa that is above boiling temperature, but below the temperature of the Leidenfrost point.

Why does this happen? This is because at temperatures above the Leidenfrost point, the bottom part of the water droplet vaporizes immediately on contact with the hot plate. The resulting gas suspends the rest of the water droplet just above it, creating a sort of isolation film preventing any further direct contact between the liquid water and the hot plate.

A popular cultural reference for the Leidenfrost Effect is a staple in many yesteryear Tamil films, especially with those based on village themes. The plot would go something like this: the female protagonist's husband is in his deathbed; all hope is lost. Notwithstanding the odds, she goes to the temple of the village's 'kula-deivam' (usually, a Durga or Kali temple) and indulges in a sacred ceremony called 'poo methikarthu', or in other words, walking over a bed of hot-coals, and thus beseeches the gods for mercy. What many people do not realize is that this may actually be a lot easier than it looks -all you have to do is to wash your feet thoroughly with cold water before stepping on the coals. Mr.Liedenfrost and his effect will take care of the rest!

Having dealt with the scientific side of things, let me come to the crux of the matter - why is this little-known effect so important to me?

For that, I need to go back 5 years, to my first year in college. I had always been a reserved, mind-my-own-business kinda guy in school and was pretty much the same once I started college too. Then one day, the class was asked to choose a topic on science and speak for five minutes on that. This was something that was new to me. I had never been asked to do something like this before. And I am grateful to this day for having been given the oppurtunity then.

I chose the Leidenfrost effect. Why? Well, as I was furiously pondering what science topic to choose, my cousin came over, saw my predicament and handed me a book: 'The Fundamental of Physics' by Resnick & Halliday (for the uninitiated, R&H is one of the most popular college Physics books in the world). At first, I was apprehensive about the task at hand given the size of the book in front of me (certain editions of R&H are more than 1300 pages long) but as I sat down to read it, I realized I couldn't take my hands off it. It was then I discovered the Leidenfrost Effect and its many charms...

Having prepared for the 'speech', I was quite confident of myself. Until the time came when I had to stand in front of the entire class that is. All those butterflies in my stomach started buzzing like crazy, my knees turned into jelly, and I felt like I had swallowed my tongue. And then, something happened. I grew up.

In that instant, as I was standing in front of an expectant class, I realized that I could do this. I had always been doubting my own capabilities until then, but in that moment, I knew I was good enough. I knew I will succeed. And all the self-doubt was swept away.

Everybody goes through moments in life when they are not sure of themselves and are afraid of taking that next step. After all, it is human to err. But, the most important thing is to come out of that experience stronger. It is in moments like these that one learns the most about oneself.

The Leidenfrost effect was my Eureka moment. What was yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment